Cockroach alert!

A sporting day for the Ayres family. Although it was a sunny day it was a little fresher and breezier so nice to be outside but not just lying in the sun. I am also at that stage I always reach in the second week of a foreign holiday where I suddenly undergo a change and all the sun and good living kicks in - and a new lean, tanned and energetic Jason replaces the white mound of blubber lying around on the sofa. So just like at the Sirenis two years suddenly water polo became my latest thing.  

A slightly less energetic start though with a good old game of French Boules on the Beach Volleyball court. There was an adult and a kids competition, sadly both Ollie and Jamie got knocked out in the first round, Ollie because he couldn't throw the ball far enough, and Jamie because he kept running off with the balls. I got to the semi finals including knocking out Craig the entertainer along the way which I was quite pleased with since he has been doing it every week for the past year and I haven't raised a boule in anger since I last holidayed in France in 1987.  

Later on it was water polo, which as ever was enormous fun. We had about 8 per side which ranged from big fat beery middle aged blokes down to young teens. I'm not quite sure what rules were being applied, as it became more like a rugby scrum at times - I certainly got into the spirit of things, throwing my weight around to good effect and wrestling people down to get the ball and get it upfield to my team mates to get the glory of the goals. Good solid defensive play, and we won 6-4. I was most chuffed to be awarded man of the match! Great fun, great exercise though I have got to admit I was absolutely knackered afterwards! Got to be good for me though right?  

Amazing how well and fit I feel - considering that I have been basically been surviving on a diet of meat and booze for nearly two weeks. Good living, good weather, no doctor can prescribe this. I'm going to go back to Bicester brimming more full of life and confidence than ever before. Life just gets better and better, I thought nothing could top 2011 and then 2012 was just amazing and 2013 is shaping up to be the best yet! There's no great secret to it all really - happy outlook, positive thinking, making your own luck. Anyone can do it. People like Craig - the head entertainer here at Oasis Duna are an absolute inspiration to me - absolutely full of life and genuine with it - they aren't all, believe me.  

Spent some time once again with Ollie today trying to help him learn to swim - tried a little bit of back stroke, though I still have to hold him. He will let go and go freely in the armbands on his own but he does not swim - just basically treads water and goes round and round in a circle, but the point of all of it is - he is gaining experience and time in the water and that is what is needed. Again, parents of children who were natural water babies and swimming at 3 - I had one rather superior mother telling me all this by the pool the other day. Well, that's fine by you - but every child is different, and Ollie is naturally frightened and fearful of new experiences - it doesn't make him any weaker than your child. What he needs is a supportive and loving father who will help him overcome his fears. And anyway - snooty mother, I bet he could kick your 7 year old's arse in a maths test.  

One of the major complaints about this place on Trip Advisor is about cockroaches - now I have been walking around this place for 10 days and have not seen a single one - until tonight that is. Got back to the room after the entertainment at the bar, went for a slash, and was mid flow, when suddenly one ran out from behind the toilet straight at my foot. To say this put me off my aim was something of an understatement. Fortunately Claire was on hand to squish it and chuck it outside. I have heard that squishing them is not a good idea as they spread eggs but I didn't see any, and anyway we will be gone in a few days so I'm not overly concerned.   To be honest I take it all with a pinch of salt - we are in a hot country - not to see the occasional bug is unrealistic - I'm cetainly not going to go on trip advisor moaning about it!


Jason xx

Comments

  1. Sounds like you're having fun Jason, beats the hell out of the freezing temperatures we've got back her in Wales at the moment. Not jealous at all, honest ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Return of the long lost Kindle ratings!

Maba

The next Time Bubble book