An entire lifetime lived in two weeks

Quite a few of the people we knew went home today. The change over days here are Wednesday and Saturday which makes us the longest running residents in the hotel, more or less. It got me to thinking - how the life cycle of a 2 week holiday is like a mini-version of ones whole life.  

When you first arrive at a place, you emerge into it,blinking and wide-eyed like a new born in a new world. So much to learn - so much to see. The place is full of people already - who've been here much longer than you and give off that aura of confidence and experience that the worldly wise have. At the first day or night's entertainment, the entertainers seem to be great pals with some of the other guests - as if they have been old friends for years, but they welcome you warmly as you take your first tentative steps into their world.  

A few days pass, you get some experience, it is half way through the week and new guests arrive. Now you know your way around, you're nicely settled in and all excited - these are your teenage years, your whole life stretching out before you with the end so far away it seems like it will never come. You know where you are, what you want to do - the possibilities seem endless.  

The halfway point comes. It's like reaching your 40th birthday - suddenly some awareness that you have reached a milestone has arrived - yet from this point onwards you'll be counting down in your head the time you have left. Many more people have gone home and you are the life and soul now - great friends with all the entertainers, and watching all the new people coming in, was it really only a week ago we were that new to it all?   You're relaxed and happy with who you are and where you are. You know what you like, and you do it.

But the days fly by and soon you are in the middle of the second week. Most of the friends you have made have gone home now - feels like you've known the reps for years. You've had a great time but you know time's running out. The area around the pool is full of faces you don't recognise - there's just different people here now - not like the good old days. This is the time to enjoy some last rays of sunshine in the autumn of your years. Soon you will be gone, you may be remembered for a week or so by the friends you made in the second week, but soon, they too will be gone. Every week is a new generation - ever changing, and moving on.   But in a way - it's not all bad - you have had a good innings and you are maybe tiring of things - perhaps you will be happy to move on to the next life. In this case, home, because the good news is that you are not actually dead, you can regenerate like Doctor Who and do it all again next year - and the lovely people you met on holiday? Well there is always facebook.  

Very philisophical, huh?  

I pride myself on my technological skills and have overcome all sorts of hurdles with my various bits of electronic gadgetry on this holiday. I did wonder for a while if I had done the right thing using my old Samsung Camera - 6 years old now, for the photography - as I did not bring the USB cable with me which would enable me to connect it to the note - but then I realised I had it covered - my old camera has one of the old big SD cards in it - but thanks to my trusty 4 in 1 gadget I bought for the note I can put the pictures up on to here. Which is very handy. This is a little thing that plugs into the bottom of the Note and provides it with USB, mini USB, SDHC and SD slots - another little gadget that I bought for shirt buttons on ebay.  

I have been suffering for the past year from being unable to take any pictures on my HTC phone - this much maligned piece of gadgetry which I barely use - the odd text message and that is about it. The problem with this phone is that it has very little internal memory - yet can you believe even with a 4gb SD card inserted - not only is there no option to save photos on the card, there's also no way to transfer onto the card. Even worse the photos you take permanently take up space on the phone - even when you delete them - they are somehow still using the memory they took up. So take a few photos and you effectively cripple the phone - same with apps. Only way out - factory reset the phone. And before you think this is just me being thick - I am not - I always resolve such problems if resolveable and this one isn't - I know because I spent hours looking into it on the internet and it's a known fault. Basically this HTC phone is a waste of space - it was old when I got it - so it has been around at least 3 years now.  

Never mind it is nearly upgrade time - which either means a good phone - or no phone at all, as I remain unconvinced that I even need one now I have this Galaxy Note - as it seems almost unlimited in the things it can do. I am finding new apps and applications all the time - for free in most cases, pennies for others. Having this note with me on this holiday has really seen it come into its own - had it several months now and still discovering new things it can do on a daily basis.   I have been writing these entries on Polaris Office, but have now downloaded the blogger app which I have discovered you can use offline so I am busy pasting these blogs in to them and tidying it up. We only have a couple of days to go now so may start publishing them - one less job to do when I get back.

May also re-activate facebook before I go as well, so I can post some links up to them, might leave that to the last day though for reasons previously stated.  


The amazing chinese buffet again tonight, here's a piccy of what's on offer in the show cooking area.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Return of the long lost Kindle ratings!

The next Time Bubble book

Maba