Race against time

I'm settling into quite a little routine in the mornings now term's well established. Basically, my mission in the mornings is to get Ollie to school by 8:45am and Jamie to the Courtyard by 9:10am. Bearing in mind there is no more than 10 minutes walk between those two places that doesn't sound too much of a challenge, does it?

No - it isn't - but I like a challenge and I also like maximising my time. 25 minutes isn't long enough to go back home - as soon as our coats are off, we'd be putting them back on again - but it doesn't leave much leeway for doing anything else. But time management is key to the success of my days, so I have decided to try and fit all of my shopping into that window. With an optional extra of Wilkinsons after dropping Jamie off as it's on the way back.

I normally need to visit any two or more of the following: Tesco, M&S, Iceland and the Butchers. Now I am an efficient well oiled machine when it comes to shopping as you well know - so I can race around Tesco's in 3 minutes and pick up the 5 items I need. Under this new time pressure it's also of benefit to my health as I don't go down every aisle so any highly tempting offers that I may previously have been seduced by e.g. four Chunky Kit Kats for a quid, I am less likely to spot. Plus the rate of knots I'm haring around at makes me feel like I am doing a good workout.

This has worked out quite well so far, as I'm usually at the Courtyard before 9:15am which is plenty early enough as they seldom open the doors spot on 9:10am and even if they do, getting about a dozen or more toddlers through the door and all the various traffic jams, tantrums, parents wanting to talk to the carers etc, means there is plenty of leeway.

So generally - so far so good. However, yesterday was slightly different. The school had their harvest festival service in church and were to perform a couple of songs. I promised Ollie I would go and watch him. However, the school had decided that this service would be first thing - officially starting at 9:15am. I am going to suggest they change the time next year.

So - I had my usual madcap dash around the shops, but more so that usual with the thought of getting to the Courtyard early to get to the front of the queue. This meant I was having to be ruthless about stopping to talk to people. It is impossible for me to walk from one end of the town to the other without meeting several people I know - usually a quick hello suffices if I am in a rush but yesterday, everyone wanted to speak to me. I made a good start from the school, practically on pole position out the gate so had cleared all the school mums and had a clean dash as far as Sheep Street - where I bumped into Hayley from the bed shop whom I get on great with - had a very brief conversation, she could see I was in a rush so let me go - all well and good - no offence caused. Quick look in M&S - still out of stock on Cheese Tasters!!!! Not happy. Into Tesco's, rush rush rush. Re-arrange their potatoes which were untidy whilst rummaging to the bottom for the best date. Overly chatty cashier - the one time I didn't want one. Just get out into Sheep St and run into Catherine, who has children higher up the school. She attempts to engage me in conversation - "You know your little boy..." - at which point I cut her off with - "sorry I'm an a terrible rush - tell me later". She looked horrified and offended. So I guess whatever it was she wanted to tell me about Ollie she'll have to tell me another time - if she ever speaks to me again.

90 seconds in Iceland to pick up the milk. And made it to the Courtyard just after 9:10am with the doors not open yet. Ahead of quite a lot other people but then - completely out of character, just as we get in the queue near the front - Jamie does a poo. So I have to fight my way back out, into the toilets and change his nappy. There doesn't seem to be any nappy bin in the toilet so I put it in the bin which has a lid that snaps open and closed - basically once it's in it stays in - then afterwards notice a large sign along the lines of "DO NOT DISPOSE OF NAPPIES IN THIS BIN _ USE THE ONE IN THE MAIN BUILDING. But it's too late now and I am panicing. I figure it's only this once - they won't know it's me - though in fact now I've written it in this blog they probably will - so in case anyone from the Courtyard is reading this - I'm very sorry and I won't do it again, OK?

So after all of that we're at the back of the queue and as usual one of the mum's at the front decides to have a long chat with Sarah on the door about "little Johnny" oblivious to the fact there's a whole line of stressed parents and fractious children behind her. Finally get out about 9:22am and speed to the church at a rate even those of you that have seen my lightning moves in the White Hart would be impressed with. Make it just as Key Stage 1 are starting their song "Tu Whit To Woo" - something to do with owls apparently. I scour the children desperately trying to spot Ollie and catch his eye so he knows I am there - but I can't see him. He's little I figure, must be standing behind one of the bigger ones, but no joy. We say a few prayers with Captain John and then it's all over. Only then do I spot a crying Ollie with the teacher - he was too nervous to go up and join in - this is one of his issues. I felt so sad and disappointed - I just want my little boy to be brave and stand up there with the others. He is so vulnerable - will he ever be a grown man with the confidence that I have. When I went over he cried and hugged me and said he wanted to go home. I wish I could have taken him, he needs me so much and I'm trying so desperately to help him, scenes like yesterday in the church are heartbreaking for me.

If you have enjoyed reading this blog, please take a look at my books on Amazon (Paperback & Kindle), where you can read lots more of the same! Click here.

Jason x x

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Return of the long lost Kindle ratings!

Maba

The next Time Bubble book