Writing a sequel

It's nearly a month since I launched The Time Bubble and I've been really pleased with the response.

It's selling steadily, if not spectacularly, averaging about 4 copies a day and maintaining a healthy position in the Amazon sales rankings.

Most of the sales in the first few days will have been to friends and fans (yes I do have a few - thank-you!). But since then there has been a steady flow of people discovering the book, and I get a little bit excited every time I see that someone has bought a copy. Out of the millions of books available online, people are spotting mine and finding the cover, blurb and "look inside" attractive enough to pick up a copy.

It's early days and I live in hope that the readers will enjoy it, tell their friends, and the word will spread. I am one of thousands of indie authors out there chasing the same dream - some of us will make it, some won't, but we have to believe. I guess we are no different to all the thousands of hopefuls in any other arena - we all have the dream but only a few will make it to the very top. I have got the World Cup Final on in front of me as I type - a very different skill set to writing but it all boils down to the same thing - for them, scoring the winning goal is as good as it gets. For us the equivalent would be reaching #1 on the Amazon.com sales chart.

Spoiler alert: I am going to talk a little bit about something that happens late on in The Time Bubble that was deliberately included in order to set up a sequel. I'll try not to give too much away. If you've read the book, you'll know that there is a time about ten years in the future where the whole of England has become buried under several feet of snow. This was left open in the book with only a brief explanation.

I also left quite a bit of room for development in my characters and they are going to be more fully fleshed out in the sequel. It is going to be set ten years after the main events in The Time Bubble, in the year 2029. My teenage characters will now be in their late twenties and building careers - some high flying, others not. You'll be pleased to hear that the likes of Kent and Andy will also be returning. Kent will have found a new vocation in life which I'm sure you'll agree suits him when you find out what it is.

As with the earlier book, the story will be very character led in the first instance with the main focus of the story developing against the backdrop of their daily lives. I've always wanted to write an apocalyptic type tale and that's where I am going with this. It's not going to be some gory zombie apocalypse type thing or anything like that. I like the idea of a slow-burning disaster where it creeps up on an unsuspecting populace and this is what is going to happen. A large meteorite strike will cause devastating damage in another part of the world - but we in Britain will think we've escaped it - until the temperature starts to drop.

The story is going to follow Charlie, Hannah and the others as what starts as the usual British grumbling about the snow turns gradually to a real battle just to stay alive.

I've mapped out the rough draft of the story but won't be actually starting to write it until September. And that is because I have two very lively little boys about to finish school and nursery for the summer who are going to be keeping me extremely busy until then!

I hope to have "Global Cooling" (the working title) out in time for the winter market.

Jason Ayres is the author of new time travel novel "The Time Bubble", available now from Amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Time-Bubble-Jason-Ayres-ebook/dp/B00L3K1B8G/ref=pd_ecc_rvi_1

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Return of the long lost Kindle ratings!

The next Time Bubble book

Maba