The Time Bubble Q&A

So, as they queue outside the doors of the Kindle store in Bicester awaiting the midnight release of The Time Bubble, here on my blog I have secured you an exclusive interview with myself to tell you all about it:




Q: So, The Time Bubble. What’s this all about then?

A: It’s a story set in a small market town near Oxford about two boys who discover a time portal inside a railway tunnel.

Q: That sounds like Bicester? Is it Bicester?

A: It’s no more Bicester than Candleford was Bicester in Lark Rise to Candleford. It’s an unnamed town somewhere in the South Midlands on the route of the new HS2 line. There are some scenes set in Oxford, though, which should look good when the movie comes out.

Q: So it’s a time travel book then. Hasn't that subject been done to death?

A: Well you might think so. But I've come up with a concept that I'm pretty sure has never been done before.

Q: What’s that exactly?

A: The basic premise is about a bubble in time which people trapped in for a set amount of time, e.g. 15 minutes. During this time they vanish. From their perspective they don’t go anywhere they just leap instantly forward in time.

Q: Can they go back in time as well?

A: No, only ever forwards. The twist is that the duration of the time in the Bubble increases over time. Once people start disappearing for days at a time it starts to have an impact on the lives of those around them.

Q: I see you've listed it in the Sci-Fi - Time Travel section on Amazon. Does this mean it’s going to be of interest only to hard-core science fiction fans?

A: Absolutely not! If I could describe the book best it would be as a romcom movie with a sci-fi element, rather like the movie “Sliding Doors” – to give one example. I thought about listed it in the Romance Time Travel section as well - but I didn't in the end as I didn't want people to think it was a Mills & Boon.

Q: So is it chick lit then?

A: I'm not particularly keen on giving things labels,  but I like to think it'll appeal to both a male and female audience.

Q: So there’s a bit of romance involved then Can you tell me a bit about some of the characters?

A: Well – I don’t want to give too much away but there are two mains sets of characters. Firstly there are the younger characters, a group of Year 12 A level students. Much of the first half of the book revolves around the relationships between them. Later in the book the emphasis shifts more to some of the adult characters and there may or may not be some more romance involving them. You will have to read it and find out.

Q: So it’s not just a teen book, then?

A: Indeed not. Although it’s the teenage boys that initially discover the Bubble, other adult characters become drawn into the story. There are three police officers who become involved when one of the principle characters goes missing, plus a teacher that the boys enlist to help. I've also got a local drunk who features in a few pub scenes. He’s based on an amalgam of every annoying drunk bloke I've ever met in a pub - and there have been a lot of them.

Q: So he’s a comedy character? You used the term “romcom earlier” – can we expect lots of humour in the book as well then?

A: Well, anyone who has read my other books will be familiar with my style of humour and know the sort of thing to expect. There are a few characters with a comic side. A couple of my favourites are an obnoxious overweight schoolboy who is a thorn in the side of our heroes, and an ineffective D.I. from the local police in charge of the missing person investigation.

Q: Sounds great! So where can we buy the book?

A: You can get it on Amazon now – Kindle or paperback editions. Here is the link. It should also be available through local book stores soon – either off the shelf or they can order it in for you.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Time-Bubble-Jason-Ayres-ebook/dp/B00L3K1B8G/ref=pd_ecc_rvi_1

Q: And do you have any plans for a sequel?

A: I've got something in mind featuring some of the characters dealing with a scenario described near the end of the book. I can't say much more here without giving away too much of the plot so I'll just give you a one word teaser: "Snow". You'll see what I mean when you get there.

Q: Well, thank-you for your time and good luck with the book!

A: Thank-you.

Jason

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Return of the long lost Kindle ratings!

The next Time Bubble book

A Butcher, Two Bloggers, and 300 Sausages!