Competition Time!

Those nice people at Confused.com are running another blogging competition - this time you have to describe your ideal winter break in 350 words or less. Which is quite timely as I am looking forward to a return visit to Fuerteventura this winter, the first since 2009, so I feel suitably qualified to write on the subject.

Corralejo - in February. That'll do me!

350 is not very much - especially for someone like myself who tends to ramble on. As you know I won't use 350 words where 3500 will do, so probably will be quite difficult for me, but I shall give it a go and have conciseness as my watchword.

Anyway it is well worth entering as the first prize is a 3 night, five star break to Rome, which I am sure you will agree is well worth winning  - and here is the link to enable you to do.

http://www.confused.com/travel-insurance/articles/confused-travel-blogging-competition

In the meantime, here is what I wrote for my entry. Managed to get to the point about half way through the 350 words so fingers crossed, eh?


I’ve never quite understood the British obsession with summer holidays. If you go on holiday in this country you are at the mercy of the weather, and if you head off to Europe, it’s way too hot – well it is for me anyway.

Now imagine looking out of the window on a dreary cold January day, with the warm glow of Christmas already a receding memory. It’s dark and it’s cold. Now this is the time of year you really want to get away. But where to go? The obvious first thing to spring to mind is ski-ing. But really, would you really want to go away to somewhere even colder than here? No – winter sun is what’s needed. And you don’t have to fly long haul to find it.

Most of Europe is too chilly, but just four hours away on the west coast of Africa are the Canary Islands. Here the temperature is in the 70s (farenheit) throughout the winter months, and the perfect antidote to the gloom and chill back home.

It’s also very good value to go at that time of year – prices drop like a stone after New Year and you would be amazed what you can get for your money – two weeks in the sun, flights, even food – for less money than you might spend on a week’s break back in the UK in August.

Which one to go to? Well Gran Canaria, Lanzarote and Tenerife are all lively and fun, but I fell in love with the slightly lesser known Fuerteventura the first time I went there and have been back many times – always to Corralejo, full of friendly people and miles upon miles of stunning sand dunes.

I remember one year, I offered to work the days in the office between Christmas and New Year so everyone else could have the time off. They all came back on 5th January, saw me for one day, then out I flew on the 6th for 2 weeks in the sun, leaving them all behind – now that is the way to do it!

Jason



http://www.confused.com/travel-insurance/articles/confused-travel-blogging-competition

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Return of the long lost Kindle ratings!

Maba

The next Time Bubble book