Holy Water! And Maba Revisited.

No - that's not an exclamation from Robin in the 1960s Batman TV series, though I am sure he said it at some point! No in fact today was my second son's baptism.

Because of the unusual way in which we work - i.e. I am usually working over the weekends and off in the week, we arranged this to happen as part of the Wednesday morning communion service at the church.

Unlike Ollie's baptism, we decided it would be just a quiet affair this time. We asked our very good friends Lynda and Duncan to be godparents and they were delighted to accept. So just before 10 I collected Ollie from school and we all met at the church and enjoyed a very nice service from Teresa, who is the vicar at St Edburg's. Ollie was very well behaved throughout - he is definitely getting better on these big occasions.

I do enjoy Teresa's services as she talks a lot about everyday events, and even for those who attend special occasions who are not Christians, there is still plenty to be taken out of the services in terms of how we treat each other as fellow humans and showing compassion and care for each other, and supporting those who need our help in times of need. Christian values - that everyone can live by, whether believers or not.

When the time came to have him baptised, I had to hold Jamie while she did it - and invariably a lot of the holy water went all over me. This of course I had anticipated in advance, hence my choice of casual clothes for the day, which was of course remarked upon by Duncan who had come suited and booted for the occasion. I think my excuse that I didn't want to get my suit wet was a good one - I see no need for it to be given an airing any time soon - I believe it last left the wardrobe in 2008.

Afterwards we had coffee and biscuits and cakes with the congregation who seemed like a really nice bunch of people. After which I took Ollie back to school (amid much grumbling) and the four of us headed off for a slap up lunch at Maba.

Now you will recall from my previous review of Maba that I am quite a fan - after a lengthy evening's wining and dining there back in the Spring. They have a huge range of options at lunchtime - in fact we were given 3 menus, the a la carte, a brunch menu and a lunch specials menu. My eyes were instinctively drawn to the latter. As we all know, dining out isn't cheap, but restaurants that offer a set menu of 2 or 3 courses for a fixed price usually allow you to get a bit of value.

We all went for the 3 courses for £10.95 option and were not disappointed. I had the inevitable "platter" of bread and meats for my starter - which was fairly generous and then a very nice fish and chips for the main course, polished off with a sorbet. All of the others were happy with their options too and they didn't skimp on the portions just because it was part of a set menu - which is something other restaurants have been guilty of in the past.

Jamie himself was very well behaved throughout the menu, a combination of bread, chips and crayons saw him nicely through.

So Maba still impresses and we shall be back there as soon as Saturday for another meal, this time with our good friends Alex and Jo - this will however be an evening fixture with no children and that means the full a la carte and a good go at the wine menu! Jo and I have already bagsied the reds!

If you have enjoyed reading this blog, please take a look at my books on Amazon (Paperback & Kindle), where you can read lots more of the same! Click here.

Jason x x

Comments

  1. Was indeed a most pleasant day and as you mentioned within this very nice blog, my thoughts you now are just the same. Religion doesn't come high on my list of priorities in life, not the type that goes over board anyway, but to listen to Teresa today as always is a good thing. She reminds you of how people should behave, how they should respect people, care for people, support so on a so forth. I wont be visiting every week but to be honest, I think I might go a bit more often, bit like Maba really, I think I might do the lunch special a bit more often too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Duncan, yes, it's all good, I think maybe people forget the simple pleasures in life, religion doesn't all have to be people standing in the town centre standing on boxes shouting - a moment of quiet reflection in the church can be very beneficial to the soul and ones inner peace. I definitely think I shall try and go a little more now the boys are getting older.

      Thanks for being part of today, we really appreciated it, can't think of two nicer people to have as godparents. And that's not to be derogatory to anyone else - but it's reflective of the friendship between our families.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Return of the long lost Kindle ratings!

The next Time Bubble book

Maba