Half term on a budget - In 350 words or less...

This is a very special blog entry today.

I was delighted to receive an email from Confused.com today, regarding my blog. Now I am used to receiving automated messages from companies all the time, but this was different. It seems they have not only been reading my blog, but they have also commented on my last entry.

It's so nice to receive some personal feedback from a company. Not only that, but they've also invited me to submit an entry for their blogging competition.

In 350 words or less, I am to describe ways to save money with the kids at half term. So here is what I have submitted. A free mini-break in Pembrokeshire awaits the winner!

Seems school has hardly started, yet half-term will soon be upon us, and the kids will need entertaining. How does one do this on a budget? Well first – here’s what not to do. I recommend against going away on holiday. As I am sure you know, these weeks are very popular, and consequently very expensive compared to term time weeks – both at home and abroad, so my recommendation there would be – don’t go in half term – go the week before, if you can. Term time is where the bargains are.

Day trips – now you are talking. But where to go? Well, all of the major theme parks are open and they don’t hike prices, but they may be a little busy. Plenty of ways to cut the cost down. 2 for 1 ticket offers abound everywhere, and are easy to get hold of. Rather than me list them all here – just type 2 for 1 theme parks into Google and you will soon find what you are looking for. Failing that, have you been saving up your supermarket loyalty points? As these can also be exchanged at 2x or more their face value for certain days out.

If you go by train, and book your tickets nicely in advance – much cheaper than buying on the day. And that links nicely in with my next recommendation – check out this website http://www.daysoutguide.co.uk/ - it gives you discounts and 2 for 1 offers to attractions when you travel by train.

And my number one recommendation? A day out that will not only entertain, but could also be completely free? Take the children to one of the hundreds of museums in the country that since 2001 legislation have become completely free to visit. There are dozens in London alone – my top recommendation for kids would be the Science Museum, but there are museums all over England worth a visit – here in Oxford alone we have the Ashmolean, Pitt Rivers and Natural History Museums. I remember how excited I was aged about 7 visiting there and seeing the dinosaur bones.

Jurassic Oxford


Jason xx

Comments

  1. If anyone would like to enter the competition, here's the link! Good luck!


    http://www.confused.com/life-insurance/articles/confused-blogger-competition

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Return of the long lost Kindle ratings!

Maba

The next Time Bubble book